Genuine Datacard Color Ribbons for the Sigma DS3 ID Card Printer from an Authorized Datacard Reseller.
ID card printers typically use ribbons that are made up of different panels for printing colors and providing other functions. Panels are typically identified by a letter or two with the most common dye sublimation panels being:
- Y = Yellow dye sublimation panel
- M = Magenta dye sublimation panel
- C = Cyan dye sublimation panel
- K = Black resin panel (K = Key = Black)
- O = Overlay panel
The YMC (Yellow, Magento and Cyan) panels are used together for full-color printing and composite black text. For crisp, black text (e.g. for printing barcodes), then a ribbon with a Black resin (K) panel can be used.Other common panels are
- O = Overlay (aka Overcoat) panel for providing a protective finish for added card protection
- T = Topcoat (same as an Overlay panel)
- Uv = Ultraviolet panel for printing text and graphics that can only be seen under an ultra-violet light
- I = Inhibitor panel for restricting where text and graphics can be printed
Another type of ribbon is a "Half-Panel Color Ribbon" where the Yellow, Yellow, Magenta and Cyan panels are half the size of the regular panels but the other panels are full-sized panels (e.g. a "ymcKO" ribbon). These ribbons can provide cost-savings where color is only required on up to half the card with black available for any part of the card).